Sunday 16 June 2013

I was a ladies’ charmer —Bill Bellamy

American comic, Bill Bellamy, famous for the 1994 show, ‘Booty call’, was in Nigeria for a performance.  He opens up on his career in this interview



Aren’t you surprised that the catch phrase, ‘Booty call’ is still popular in over 20 years after its debut?
Of course I am. I am simply overwhelmed with the fact that people know me in different countries that I have never been to. That is the kind of power the internet and movies have on people. Though ‘booty call’ at the time was a joke, it never faded out because it is life— guys chase girls every time.

Did you ever anticipate this popularity when you started?
No, I have always been an ambitious entertainer but breaking into the industry was not easy for me. However, I have always had stand-up comedy as my saviour. I started off with hosting the R&B music video and interview series, ‘MTV Jams’.   Comedy has always been there for me and it is what has brought me to where I am today.

What memories do you have as a voice jockey on MTV?
 I was a ladies’ charmer. The ladies simply couldn’t   get enough of me. I am sure that was when my image as a player began to take roots and producers started to cast me in romantic roles.

In the movies, who has been your favourite female co-star?
I like most of my co-stars for different reasons. When I featured in ‘Any given Sunday’, I was with Cameron Diaz. I like her because she comes alive each time she smiles and she has a way of making you smile along.   I have also enjoyed a tremendous working relationship with Gabriel Union.

What was the sexiest thing you ever did?
 It was a love scene with Carmen Electra; she just got married to a rock star who looked like a cross between a prince and a vampire.  The whole time I was doing my love scene; he stood and stared at me with resentment in his eyes. It was weird! I asked Carmen Electra if her men always did that to her and her reply was, ‘he is just checking.’

 Are the playboy roles you act in movies a reflection of your character?
Yes. I am a player quite alright.

Have you ever been turned down by a lady?
No. Women have always been good to me.

What are you working on at the moment?
I have a new TV show, ‘Mr. Box office.’  It is syndicated in 104 markets right now and it is on Black Entertainment Television.   I also have two movies out, ‘Crazy sexy dirty’ and ‘Ladies night out’.  I am touring the country with these projects at the moment.

What was your first impression of  Nigeria?
I noticed that there are a lot of black people here and I am very proud of that fact. I feel like I have my own nation.  Nigeria is an interesting country. The people are very accommodating.  I have always wanted to come to Africa and had thought that the first place I would go to would be Ghana or Ivory Coast. I have already visited some interesting places and tried Nigerian food also.  My most exciting moment was the welcome party. The excitement displayed by Nigerians who were waiting to receive me made my day.

Are you planning to imbibe Nigerian comedy?
I am. I will get a Nigerian comic to teach me the ropes so that I can square up to the comedians here. I hope to work with some of them because I like different styles of comedy. The beautiful thing about comedy is, it’s like music. It offers different flavours to everybody.  We should have a big comedy club here some day. We are doing something like that in the United States, where comedians can perform. This is because as a comedian, you need a place to perform and perfect the craft.

 Any prospect for a Nigerian comedian who comes to perform in the United States?
Yes. The beauty is that everyone speaks in English, but the only difference will be if he did something that only Nigerians understand, he might not get the same response because you have to know the reference to laughter.  You have to know the slang, otherwise you would miss it.    There are lots of   African and British comics in the United States. An example is Gina Yashere, she is a British born Nigerian and she is fantastic. Even though she has a strong accent, she makes it possible for everyone to understand what she is saying.

With your itinerary, when do you sleep?
My sleep varies but it is somewhere between six and eight hours a day.

Any jokes that you can share now?
I always have jokes but I am going to take time and think of something you can really laugh at. I want to personalise my act so that everybody can laugh and have a good time.


No comments:

Post a Comment